A Favorable Job Landscape
Java and related software developer jobs are hot commodities in today’s career marketplace. In 2010 there were more than 900,000 positions available, a total that is expected to grow by 30 percent by 2020, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. This growing demand is attributed to:
- Mobile technology, which requires myriad new applications.
- Increasing use of computer systems and applications within the healthcare industry.
- Growing concerns about cyber-security, which is driving more investment in software to protect networks and electronic infrastructures.
Software engineers and programming professionals generally need at least a bachelor’s degree in computer science, math, information systems or software engineering. Some positions accept an associate’s degree or certificate.
Integral to the Java developer’s skill set are:
- Proficient analytical skills and technological savvy, as well as strong problem-solving abilities.
- The capability to pay close attention to detail, develop creative solutions for complex and abstract problems and concentrate for long periods of time.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and multi-tasking strengths.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel and Viseo.
Current reports of earning potential for Java developers range from $52,847 ($53,581 with bonuses and profit sharing) to $77,601 (or $85,020) per year.
Opportunities in Pennsylvania
Check out the Magellan Search & Staffing website for these and other career opportunities:
- Web Application Developer – West Conshohocken, PA: Work for a leading company in providing digital curriculum delivery platforms to school districts nationwide. Participate in the full-product lifestyle, work with stakeholders and team members to analyze new product features, and design and prototype user experiences and interfaces.
- Drupal Developer – Malvern, PA: Develop custom modules for a variety of websites at a healthcare communication company that publishes some of the nation’s most well-respected medical journals.
- Associate Software Developer, Philadelphia: Join the team at a leading software provider for regulated healthcare products. Work on large and complex systems used by government agencies and global corporations.
- Senior Java Developers, Montgomery, PA: Help grow and expand development efforts working for a premier provider of back-office investment processing services for private banks, registered investment advisors and money managers.
The Magellan team of coaches and staffing experts can help as you realize your career goal. Contact us to learn more.