As the center of economic activity in Pennsylvania, Philadelphia has a lot to offer in terms of jobs in the accounting and finance sector. If you’re interested in pursuing your career in the City of Brotherly Love, you could do so in a wide spectrum of industries ranging from the Philadelphia Stock Exchange and numerous Fortune 500 companies, to one of more than 80 colleges, universities and trade and specialty schools. In addition, the city has an abundance of opportunities in government, non-profit and public and management accounting.
Philadelphia Salary Snapshot
Depending on your experience level, you can earn anywhere from about $39,000 to well over $70,000 as an accountant in the Philadelphia metropolitan region. Median salaries include:
- Junior accountant: $48,000
- Senior accountant: $67,000
- Tax accountant: $58,000
Accounting Career Opportunities
The employment of accountants is forecast to increase 16 percent by 2020.
- Service businesses are leading the ongoing financial recovery. Accounting firms have regained close to 90 percent of the jobs lost during the recession, in part because of an increase in start-up businesses and of U.S. companies expanding their global scope.
- Public accounting firms employ the largest number of certified public accountants and have the most openings. However, CPAs work for both private and public companies across every industry and business line in management, financial and tax accounting; internal auditing, and information management and technology.
- Current growth industries for accountants include healthcare, the life sciences, high-end manufacturing and IT.
- Government agencies continue to recruit accountants. To learn more about a particular government department or agency, visit USA.gov.
- Hiring is beginning to recover at not-for-profit organizations.
- Community colleges provide opportunities to teach accounting, and four-year colleges and universities utilize adjunct faculty members. A Ph.D. in accounting opens the door to a full-time research position.
Partner With a Pro
To pursue your Philadelphia accounting job, your best plan is to work with a specialized firm whose recruiters have robust knowledge of area businesses, hiring trends, and local and regional government and economic development. Contact the team at Magellan Search & Staffing to learn more. If you are looking for accounting job opportunities in Philadelphia, contact us today.